Peppered Herb Cheese Ball
- 3 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
- 3 tablespoons snipped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Assorted crackers
1. In a shallow dish combine 1 tablespoon of the chives, 1 tablespoon of the basil, and the parsley; set aside. In a medium bowl beat cream cheese and goat cheese with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Beat in remaining 2 tablespoons chives, remaining 2 tablespoons basil, the pepper, and garlic. Form into a ball.
2. Roll ball in herb mixture. Wrap and chill cheese ball for 4 to 24 hours.
3. Makes twelve 2-tablespoon servings
4. Dried Beef Cheese Ball: Prepare as above, except omit basil and parsley. Beat 2 ounces chopped dried beef, 3 tablespoons snipped fresh chives, and 1 teaspoon caraway seeds into cheese mixture. Serve with crisp rye crackers or party rye bread.
5. Italian Cheese Ball: Prepare as above, except substitute fontina cheese for the goat cheese and beat 2 ounces hard salami and 2 tablespoons finely chopped roasted red sweet pepper into the cheese mixture. Serve with water crackers or baguette slices.
Per serving: 121 cal., 5 g total fat (6 g sat. fat), 36 mg chol., 220 mg sodium, 1 g carbo., 0 g dietary fiber, 5 g protein. Daily Values: 9% vit. A, 10% vit. C, 7% calcium, 2% iron. Exchanges: 1/2 High-Fat Meat, 11/2 Fat