- 1 small eggplant (about 3/4 pound)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or cooking oil
- 4 medium red tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped (about 2-2/3 cups)
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh oregano or thyme or 1 teaspoon dried oregano or thyme, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 16-ounce package Boboli (12-inch Italian bread shell)
- 2 medium red and/or yellow tomatoes, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 small zucchini, thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 1 small yellow summer squash, thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons sliced pitted ripe olives
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (2 ounces)
1. Chop enough of the eggplant to make 1 cup. Halve remaining eggplant lengthwise and cut into thin slices; set aside.
2. In a medium skillet cook onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon of the oil until tender but not brown. Add chopped eggplant, chopped tomatoes, oregano or thyme, sugar, salt, and pepper. Cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat about 15 minutes or until liquid has evaporated and mixture is of spreading consistency, stirring occasionally.
3. Place the bread shell on a lightly greased baking sheet. Spread the warm tomato mixture over bread shell. Arrange the tomato slices and eggplant slices on the tomato mixture. Arrange zucchini slices and summer squash slices on top. Brush sliced vegetables with the remaining oil. Sprinkle with feta cheese and olives. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.4. Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until cheese melts and vegetables are heated through.