Teriyaki Beef and Lettuce Wraps
- 1 large head iceberg lettuce
- 4 large carrots, shredded
- 2 green sweet peppers, cut into thin strips
- 6 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 6 tablespoons roasted-garlic teriyaki liquid meat marinade
- 2 fresh jalapeno chile peppers, seeded and finely chopped*
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons roasted-garlic teriyaki liquid meat marinade
- Green onions
1. Remove and discard core from lettuce. Carefully remove at least 16 whole lettuce leaves; set aside. In a medium bowl, combine carrot, sweet pepper, 6 tablespoons vinegar, and salt; toss to combine.
2. In a large bowl, combine ground beef and 6 tablespoons teriyaki marinade. Shape beef mixture into 1/2-inch meatballs.
3. Heat a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add one-fourth of the meatballs to hot skillet. Cook for 3 minutes, turning meatballs to brown on all sides. Transfer meatballs to a bowl. Repeat with remaining meatballs.
4. Return all meatballs to the skillet. Stir in chile pepper, water, 2 tablespoons vinegar, and 2 tablespoons teriyaki marinade. Bring to simmering. Cover and cook for 3 minutes.
5. To serve, fill lettuce leaves with vegetable mixture and meatballs; roll up. Garnish the platter with green onions. Makes 16 servings.
6. Make-Ahead Tip: Prepare the lettuce, vegetable mixture, and meatballs as directed. Cover and chill separately for up to 24 hours. Fill and roll up as directed (you don't need to reheat the meatballs).
7. *Note: Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.