Basil Scrambled Eggs with Cornbread Toast
- 1 8-oz. pkg. corn bread mix
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 a 32-oz. pkg. frozen hash brown potatoes (about 3-1/2 cups)
- 6 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk, half-and-half, or light cream
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Dash ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup snipped fresh basil
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare corn bread mix according to package directions, stirring 1/2 cup of the cheese into the batter. Spread batter in a greased 8 x 4-inch loaf pan. Bake 20 minutes or until corn bread is lightly browned and a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool corn bread in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove corn bread from pan; cool completely.
2. In a large skillet, prepare hash brown potatoes according to package directions. Sprinkle potatoes with remaining 1/2 cup cheese during last 2 minutes of cooking. Set aside; keep warm.
3. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Slice corn bread loaf into 8 slices (about 1-inch). Lay slices on a baking sheet. Place in oven to warm. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl beat together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper with a wire whisk just until combined. In a large skillet melt butter over medium heat and pour in egg mixture. Cook over medium heat, without stirring, until eggs begin to set on the bottom and around the edge.
4. With a spatula or large spoon, lift and fold the partially cooked egg mixture to let the uncooked portion flow underneath. Cook over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until egg mixture is cooked through but still glossy and moist. Remove from heat immediately.5. To serve, place 2 slices of corn bread on each of four plates. Divide scrambled eggs and hash browns among the plates. Sprinkle eggs and hash browns with fresh basil. Makes 4 servings.