Easy Chicken Liver Pate
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 pound chicken livers, drained
- 2 tablespoons cognac or brandy
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash ground ginger
- French bread
Cook onion and garlic in butter or margarine in a large skillet until tender. Add chicken livers. Continue cooking over medium heat about 5 to 7 minutes or until livers are no longer pink inside, stirring occasionally. Carefully add the cognac; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 2 minutes. Cool slightly. Transfer mixture to a blender container or food processor bowl.
Add salt, pepper, cloves, nutmeg, and ginger. Cover and blend or process mixture until smooth. Pack pate into a crock or bowl. Cover surface with plastic wrap and chill at least 6 hours.
To serve, allow pate to stand at room temperature for 20 minutes. Serve with French bread. Makes 16 servings.
Make-Ahead Tip: Prepare pate, cover, and chill in the refrigerator up to 1 day.