Wheat Berry-Watercress Quiche
- 1 9-inch unbaked pastry shell
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped watercress leaves
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2/3 cup cooked wheat berries*
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese (6 ounces)
1. Line the bottom of pastry shell with a double thickness of foil. Bake in a 450 degree F. oven for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 4 to 5 minutes more or until set and dry. Set aside. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F. In a bowl stir together eggs, egg whites, milk, mustard, watercress leaves, green onion, salt, and pepper.
2. Sprinkle cooked wheat berries in the bottom of pastry shell. Top with shredded Swiss cheese. Slowly pour egg mixture over wheat berry mixture. Bake in a 325 degree F. oven about 50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. If necessary, cover edge of crust with foil to prevent overbrowning. Let stand for 10 minutes. Makes 6 servings.
*To cook wheat berries, in a small saucepan bring 1 cup water and 1/3 cup uncooked wheat berries to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Drain well on paper towels.
Make-Ahead Tip:Cook wheat berries up to 48 hours ahead; cover and chill until needed.